Rose Gold Mask

The purpose of my project is to create a cheap, effective identity concealing mask for DJing with built in cooling (conceptualized by reading about daft punk’s heat problems.) The reason it is identity concealing is because I want to be able to get a job and live a paparazzi-free life if I decide to go anywhere with DJing.

The main inspiration for my project consist of artists like Destroid, Daft Punk and Deadmau5 with their identity concealing helmets. Looking at Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo’s helmet, I liked the use of chrome gold. Unfortunately though, his helmet was a little too round for me, so I modeled my mask off of the more angular bottom plate of Thomas Bangalter’s silver helmet. The chrome rose gold was inspired from concept art and my grandma’s phone.

My biggest challenge was overcoming proportion problems and butchering the mask to fit the computer fans and my face.

After the laser cutter, I realized that the dimensions were too big for my face, so I had to slice up the mask in to pieces to fit on my face.

My first iteration was blocky and large, a product of hilariously miscalculated design. Eventually, I cut pieces off of the mask and reformed it in to a more proportional design.

Throughout the creation of this project, I learned that careful measurement is required to make something like what I made.

Because I was squeezed for time, I didn’t have enough time to wrap the mask and put the fans in it, but these are my next steps. I will cut out a place for the fans and put them in, then wired it to the battery pack.

My biggest advice is to never lose sight of the end goal and ALWAYS carefully measure the proportions of your face.

No comments:

Post a Comment