The Clay Maker



Our maker fair project was about making action figures out of clay. Our clay figures were made to be an alternative to most action figures that are made out of a cheap plastic. I(josh) really wanted to make this project because I’m always playing with action figures.


And I (Ella Worm) wanted to do this project because I wanted to get better at making things out of clay because I’m pretty horrible, but I feel like I got better in the process of making this project. Also I got better on how to mix colors which was fun. I also got better at learning how to spit a project with someone.


Something that we learned in the process of our project was that if not using a kiln to dry your clay you have to use other things to support the figurines. Some of the things we use were toothpicks, and blending clay together to make it less susceptible to splitting.


A problem we ran into was splitting up the limited amount of clay that each of us could use. To get past this we decided to each pick the colors for the characters we would create and we would equally split the flesh tone color so we each had some. We also ran into the issue of the clay being to heavy to stay together for long periods of time, the way we solved this was what we earlier said which was toothpicks and blending the clay together.

The price of our project would circle somewhere around 10 dollars with the cost of the clay being 4 to 5 dollars plus the time it takes to make them. This would come out to be a lower cheaper price than the average action figures that retail for about 30 to 40 dollars. That would make our project a more available budget action figures, which are anywhere from $10-lots of money.

No comments:

Post a Comment